The last time we visited D’s parents his mom let me in on her simple and incredibly versatile fruit tart recipe and it’s quickly become my go to dessert for impromptu summer parties.
1. on a well floured surface roll pie crust dough out to fit into a 9″ pie pan. I used this pie crust recipe but I’ve also used Jiffy’s “just add water” pie crust mix (one box makes enough for two 9″ tarts)
2. after rolling the dough out cut it into a circle and lay it in the bottom of a pie plate, pinching the sides up a bit
3. we happened to have peaches and strawberries on hand but you can really use any fruit, the riper the better. Thinly slice all of your fruit, remember consistency is key!
4. once you’ve artfully arrange your fruit on your crust (spiral patterns are usually a crowd pleaser) sprinkle a tablespoon or so of sugar over the top of your tart for a touch of sweetness. Bake in a 350 degree oven until edges of the crust are golden brown (about 12-16 minutes)
5. serve with a healthy scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and congratulate yourself on being a master chef as you watch everyone lick their plates clean.
What summer sweets have you been whipping up?